The Technology of Vault Roof
The Technology of Vault Roof: The Roof is permanently insulated since it consists of a series of arches made up of burnt clay conical tile inserted into one another. The arches are held together by plaster from outside. Fixing of broken china tiles pieces over the roof renders it waterproof and reflects the sunlight making the interior to remain cooler. img potter The roof needs neither wood nor steel and is most suitable for disaster prone areas like flood & earthquake as it is quick to build, comfortable to live and low in cost.
Appropriateness of Roof of CSV Houses is as follows
- Cost effective
- Use of locally available material, mud as a basic building material
- Use of energy consuming materials (like metal, steel and cement) is minimized hence these structures are environmentally friendly.
- High labour intensive technology hence generates employment.
- Environmental friendly since the houses feel cooler inside the house in summer in hot in winter season.
- As the mud is main building material, unlike other materials (Concrete and steel), it can be recycled or reused.